Welcome to Audacity
Audacity® is free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing.
Mar 17th, 2017: Audacity 2.1.3 Released
Audacity 2.1.3 replaces all previous versions.
Audacity has only partial support for Mac Sierra. We found that on a subset of Mac Sierra machines some important extensions to the core of Audacity become unavailable. Full details here: Partial support for Sierra. This problem also affects Audacity 2.1.2. Audacity 2.1.3 takes steps to reduce the problems, but does not fix them entirely. Audacity 2.1.3 is also the last version of Audacity that will officially support Windows XP.
New features, see updated manual for details:
- Audacity 2.1.3 now properly supports Windows 10 (thanks to an upgrade of the PortAudio library) and on MacOS has some previously missing support for Magic Mouse/Trackpad (thanks to Paul Licameli).
- New Distortion effect, Rhythm Track (was called Click Track) and Sample Data Import (thanks to Steve Daulton). Also effects are no longer grayed-out when in pause.
- New scrub ruler and ‘pinned’ option so the waveform moves and the recording/playing head stays still. (Paul)
- New features in Timer Record (Mark Young & Steve)
- On Mac, audacity.app is now added to /Applications/ directly rather than adding a folder there.
- 64 bugs/annoyances in 2.1.2 fixed of which 15 were long-standing issues. Also lots done (Paul again) to systematically deal with memory leaks.
Fuller details on the changes since 2.1.2 can be found here.
Thanks to all involved in making this release, especially translators who don’t normally get enough thanks for the work they do.