Mac OS X/macOS
Recommended Downloads – Latest Version of Audacity
Left-click the text link to start the download
- Audacity 2.1.2 .dmg file (33.1 MB, includes help files)
- Audacity 2.1.2 .zip file (13.2 MB, smaller, but no help files)
- Audacity 2.1.1-screen-reader .dmg file (38.6 MB, accessible version, Universal Binary for OS X 10.5 Intel/PPC Mac, includes help files)
- Audacity 2.1.1-screen-reader .zip file (16.5 MB, accessible version, Universal Binary for OS X 10.5 Intel/PPC Mac, no help files)
- View Checksums
- System Requirements
Version 2.1.2 of Audacity is not accessible for visually impaired users who use VoiceOver, and is not suitable for OS X 10.5 either, so we provide the similar but slightly older 2.1.1-screen-reader version instead. We do plan to make Audacity accessible on Mac again in the future. We’re catching up with changes in the libraries we use.
- Double-click the downloaded DMG to mount it.
- Do not double-click the “Audacity” folder in the DMG window. Drag the entire “Audacity” folder icon to the /Applications folder icon on the right (or to any other location of your choosing).
- Eject the DMG at bottom left of Finder, then launch Audacity.app from the “Audacity” folder in /Applications or from your chosen location.
Known Issue: Security settings on OS X 10.7 or later/macOS may block Audacity being launched, due to changes made by Apple.
- To permanently enable Audacity launch, right-click or control-click on the Audacity application in Finder, choose “Open”, then in the dialog box that appears, choose “Open”.
Plug-ins and Libraries
- LADSPA plug-ins zip file – over 90 plug-ins. View Checksum.
- Plug-Ins – Download additional effects and filters.
- LAME MP3 encoder – Allows Audacity to export MP3 files.
- FFmpeg import/export library – Allows Audacity to import and export many additional audio formats such as AC3, AMR(NB), M4A and WMA, and to import audio from video files.
Alternative Download Links
- Google Code hosts selected previous versions up to and including Audacity 2.0.5.
Audacity Nightly Builds
- For advanced users, Nightly Builds are available for testing purposes. These are alpha builds from latest development code. Your help in testing and reporting bugs in these builds is invaluable. Note: These builds will definitely be less reliable than official releases. They should not be used as your production version of Audacity.
Audacity is for Intel Macs running OS X 10.6 and later and macOS. Audacity runs best with at least 1 GB RAM and a 1 GHz processor (2 GB RAM/2 GHz on OS X 10.7 and later and macOS).
For lengthy multi-track projects, we recommend a minimum of 2 GB RAM and 2 GHz processor (4 GB RAM on OS X 10.7 and later and macOS.
Older Mac operating systems/PPC Macs
For Mac OS 9 and Mac OS 10.0 through 10.5, legacy Universal binary versions of Audacity with Intel and PPC support are still available.